Here is a fairly typical budget for a smallish 5-teacher department in a mid-sized secondary school:
There is a third item that is usually accounted separately, cost of cover staff. If the average teacher is off for 1 week per year – whether for illness, external training or other reasons, they are covered by a supply teacher costing the school around £200/day.
- £200 * 5 teachers * 5 days per year = £5,000/year.
Cover staff are notoriously Continue reading
I have yet to meet a single head or senior teacher who can answer this off the top of their heads, but it is easy to work out using government-published figures.
- Teachers work 55.7 hours/week total1, and spend 9.4 hours/week marking2. That’s 17%.
- The average teacher salary is £28,9513, but we have to add the employer’s NI contribution of 13.8% to give an employer cost of £32,946, ignoring all overheads.
- 17% of £32,946 of is £5,601. That’s what we spend on marking per teacher, per year.
- The average secondary school employs 654 qualified teachers, so the total cost per school is £364,053.
I’ll repeat that. The average state secondary school spends well over a third of a Continue reading
Sam Hucker from Winterbourne International Academy asked me this question this morning:
I have set up a partial exam for my BTEC Engineering students. Is there a way that I can set up further questions where they have to type paragraphs or free sentences in larger
quantities? Continue reading